A Date With 12-12-12
12-12-12 ( December 12, 2012) has drawn a lot of buzz. What exactly is causing this euphoria ?
12-12-12: End of the World
Countless internet sources claim that the end of the World, as prophecised by the Mayans, will occur on this date. However, the Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012 and not on December, 12, 2012. Secondly, a particular date and time occurs at different time in different places of the world. So does the end of the world happens at different times in different places in the world ?
Just to take this notion forward The Astronomical Society of the Pacific has declared Dec. 12, 2012, as Anti-Doomsday Day in celebration of rational thinking and reasoned discourse.
12-12-12 a Memorable Date
What’s actually exciting about 12-12-12 ( December 12, 2012) is that it surely is a memorable day.
- Yes. Its the last such date I and most of you will see in our lifetime since such repetitive date will occur on January 1, 2101, when the date will be 01/01/01. That is a 88 years away.
- At 12:12:12 p.m., the day will offer fans of the number 12 a whopping six repeats! 12/12/12 12:12:12.
- At 1:21:02 a.m., palindrome lovers everywhere can rejoice in the single second that marks when the date-time combination is the same read both forwards and backwards: 2012-12-12 1:21:02 = 201212-1-212102.
What’s the plan this 12-12-12 ?
- 12-12-12 Weddings: To associate this date with them forever a lot of couples are planning their marriage. For another large section of the world’s population, the most auspicious date in a century came and went about a year ago – 11/11/11 – for the Chinese. According to news reports, the number of Hong Kong couples planning to marry on 12/12/12 – still seen as a fairly fortunate date by feng shui masters – has shrunk compared to the more auspicious 11/11/11 last year. But in America, there has indeed been a rush for wedding bookings, especially in Las Vegas. The Clark County’s marriage license bureau has reportedly seen a 75 per cent bump last week in online pre-registration for the date. They have aptly staffed up for it after the area’s wedding chapel managers tipped them that their bookings for the week of 12/12/12 were brisk. In fact, MGM Grand’s Forever Grand Chapel in Las Vegas has a special numerology package set for this date. For $1,400, couples get the rights to use one of their Forever Grand wedding chapels, a professional pianist, the minister’s fees, limo service to the courthouse, floral and photo packages, hair service at a salon, 50 customised chocolate bars with MGM Grand logo and a souvenir certificate.
- 12-12-12 Baby: Gone are the days when child birth was controlled by God. The 12-12-12 date euphoria has gripped couples’ imagination so much so that they are willing to skip a normal natural delivery to perform the Caesarian section.
- 12-12-12 Movie: December 12, 12.12.12, will see the launch of the third collaborative filmmaking event in the One Day on Earth series after 10.10.10 and 11.11.11. One Day on Earth is organised by the United Nations, along with more than 60 non-profit organisations. It is thought that hundreds of schools and students will also participate in the simultaneous recording. Filming will take place in every country in the world. On the event’s twitter feed, dozens of random facts about what happens on a day on Earth have been posted. On an average day, 4,489 new books are published, eight billion text messages are sent and passengers will board planes at 48, 357 airports, according to the tweets. Humans spend an average of 1.1 hours travelling and 13, 741 toxic chemicals are released into the atmosphere in one day, other tweets say.
One Day on Earth – Film on 12.12.12 from One Day on Earth on Vimeo.
- 12-12-12 Food and Partying: Many of the world’s greatest artists will take the stage at Madison Square Garden in New York on Wednesday for the ’12.12.12’ concert to help raise funds for victims of Hurricane Sandy! The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Paul McCartney, Bon Jovi and The Who will headline the concert, which will see proceeds go to the Robin Hood Relief Fund. While some people are also planning to party to mark the occasion, some resaurants are planning a 12 course meal to go with the 12-12-12 theme.
What do you think about the whole 12-12-12 affair ? Do you plan to do something special or would rather like to stay away from the euphoria ? Please share your comments !