Twitter Users Statistics & Usage Trends
[Updated December 2012]
“There are now more than 200M monthly active @twitter users, You are the pulse of the planet. We’re grateful for your ongoing support.”
- Twitter’s monthly active users statistics: Twitter has passed 200 million monthly active users.
- Twitter’s Usage growth trends: Twitter hit 100 million monthly active users September 2011, just more than five years after the service launched. This means that Twitter added as many users in 15 months as it did in the previous five years.
- Twitter’s Users Vs Other Platforms’: With 200 million monthly active users, Twitter is roughly in line with LinkedIn, which announced having 187 million monthly active users in November 2012, and well ahead of Google+, which currently has about 120 million active users. Facebook, meanwhile, passed 1 billion monthly active users in October.
[Updated August 2012]
According to a Paris-based analyst group Semiocast, Twitter has now passed the half-billion user account mark
- Twitter now has 517 million accounts as of July 1, 2012
- 141.8 million of those Twitter users are in the U.S. (about half as many users as Facebook but positioning it as the second-biggest social networking site).
- The proportion of U.S. Twitter users has declined from 28.1% in January 2012 to 27.4% of users now
- The highest-ranking U.S. city for tweeting is New York, at number five, and representing 0.4% of all tweets.
- Twitter’s home market of San Francisco accounts for only 0.2% of all tweets.
- Japan is one of the most active tweeting countries but growth there is maturing and slowing down, as it is in Korea.
- Geolocation is only used 0.77% of the time by Twitter users inspite of the feature being around for 2.5 years.
- The fastest-growing country in terms of Twitter users was Brazil which now has 41.2 million users, up from 33.3 million users in January. That’s only 8% of all Twitter users but only 6.6% of user tweets
- Japan as the second-largest country after the U.S. in terms of twitter user profiles but it is the most engaged. It represents 10.6% of all tweets but only 6.7% of users. Japanese after English is the second-most popular language.
- Indonesia which has 29.4 million twitter user profiles and has the most active Twitter city, Jakarta. Indonesia may soon overtake the UK for fourth position in its rankings: the UK currently has 32.2 million Twitter user profiles but is growing more slowly than Indonesia.
- Arabic is going strong on Twitter and is now the 6th most popular language on the site, accounting for 2.8% of all tweets. Saudi Arabia’s twitter user statistics were up by 93% in six months to 2.9 million.
- On average, less than one-third, 27%, of Twitter’s users (around 170 million people) are active Twitter users
- Netherlands had the highest proportion of active Twitter users, at 33%. Japan follows closely behind at 30%.
- There doesn’t appear to be a clear trend in active Twitter users directly related to how developing/mature each market is.
- Twitter’s own access points, including TweetDeck, represent 75.4% of all public tweets. That seems to imply that Twitter’s moves to make its APIs a little more difficult to use for certain third parties, it seems, is potentially a play to bring that proportion up even higher.
- Twitter’s own website accessed from desktops, not mobile, is the largest Twitter usage platform overall, representing 27.6% of all Twitter usage activity worldwide.
- Collectively it is mobile clients (including iPad software) that are most-used by Twitter users: representing about 61% of all tweets with Twitter’s own mobile apps and mobile web presence accounting for 74% of that.
- Twitter is getting more user activity these days from third-party apps outside of iOS and Android. The most popular non-Twitter agent [client] is Ubersocial for BlackBerry at 3.0%, followed by Echofon at 2.1%
- Twitter clients that make it easier to tweet in languages other than English are performing well since they offer an edge over what Twitter itself offers. Many Japanese-only agents are in the top 50 of all agents
- These statistics & trends are based on a sample selection of 1.058 billion public tweets in the month of June 2012
- The twitter usage report doesn’t break out mobile statistics and usage on different Twitter clients
- Active is defined as the number of accounts that were modified over a three-month period, including changes of avatar, subscribing to a new follower or tweeting. This is close to a monthly login rate. This is potentially the key one for Twitter as it seeks to monetize visitors with advertising and other marketing strategies. Also, there may be an argument for more people logging in who are just looking at what other people post, and not adding new follows or making any other changes.
- The 500 million-account landmark it announced yesterday does not include spambots. Twitter is massively deleting spam user accounts and the figures do not include these deleted accounts